11/15/16

After school snack & Midwest chains

 Chips & Queso - Yum!

We occasionally buy queso dip at Aldi.  For you Pacific Northwesterners, you may have never heard of Aldi.  I hadn't until we moved to the Midwest.  It is grocery store chain found only on the eastern half of the United States plus Southern Cal.  From what I've heard, the man who started Trader Joe's and the man who started Aldi were brothers.  Aldi stores are the size of Trader Joe's, and focus more on grocery staples, rather than the healthy specialty items that Trader Joe's carries.  Aldi prices are pretty much the lowest you can find anywhere, and that's why I now do most of my shopping there.


To keep prices low, they have a grocery cart "rental" system.  You put a quarter into a slot on the cart to release it's little chain, and after putting your groceries in your car, you return the cart to get your quarter back.  This system ensures that people return their carts, and Aldi doesn't have to pay an employee to collect the carts from the parking lot.  You also have to bring your own bags, as well as bag your own groceries.  It's worth the hassle for the savings on the grocery bill!

Here are a few other chains you may have never heard of up in the Pacific Northwest that are a regular part of the scenery around here:

Raising Cane's

White Castle

Steak n' Shake

 Culver's






1 comment:

  1. Looks good to me! Aldi has begun to expand into Texas. I saw several while I was there. Those, fast food places look pretty good, too. Love you!

    ReplyDelete