He has been watching Isabel set her piano music on the piano and then sit down to play a song. The other day I watched with amusement as Jackson selected a music book out of the basket, carefully placed it on the piano, and then started plucking keys. It was so cute!
He knows what the toilet is used for, and he likes to rip little pieces of toilet paper off the roll and then throw them in the bowl. He has picked up the fact that toilet paper goes into the toilet. When I'm putting on my make-up or brushing my teeth I let him do his little toilet paper routine, and sometimes I even flush the toilet and let him watch his little piece of paper go round and round and down the drain. The other day, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a flash of white and heard a splash. He had thrown an entire roll of toilet paper into the toilet! Oops!
God designed babies and children to be like sponges. They are soaking up sights and sounds all around them. They are watching us, and they imitate our words, phrases, sentences, daily skills, habits, attitudes, and values.
The big kids are watching and listening too, imitating us in how to settle an argument, what to say when we drop something on our toe, how to handle stress, how to ask for forgiveness, what kind of movies to choose, what priority we put on Scripture…
It is humbling, and should bring us to our knees in prayer.
Ephesians 5:1 "Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."
When we imitate God, we give our children a minute by minute, daily example worthy of imitation.
No comments:
Post a Comment